Monday, October 18, 2010

Behind MY Name!

Hello Bloggers!
New day, new post, and I'm really excited about this one!
Mrs.Pollock told us to do an assignment called 'behind our name'. We go to the site: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/ and find our name!
So I entered my birth name, Clarissa, (for anyone who didn't know), and this is what came up.


***


Behind my name Clarissa Joy Garcia.


Before we started this assignment, I thought my name was kind of unique, because there's not alot of people with the name Clarissa, but it isn't as rare as the name Jumanh! There is nothing that rhymes with Clarissa, (unless, if you find a word, comment on my blog please!), but my science teacher Mr.McGill always says 'Clarissa Balissa'. I'm 100% sure that isn't a real word, but I'm too lazy to find it in the dictionary!


I think my parents chose this name for me because they thought it was a really pretty name.(That's what people tell me, don't think I'm bragging!) My mom bought a book called 'The Name Book' for inspiration, and yet, we still have it!
At first my mom wanted to name me 'Charity Joy,' but she thought, no, Clarissa is much better. And thank goodness! I would not appreciate my mom for giving me that name.
Just joking. Mahal kita ma. (Love you mom!)
We have a joke that if she did call me 'Charity,' I said all the kids would give pity on me!


After searching Baby Names my name means clear, bright, and famous. Which kind of makes sense to me!

Clear; It is CLEAR to me what I want to do when I grow up.
I want to become an actress. Or work with Criminal Justice. What inspired me was the show, CSI: Miami. I also want to be a journalist, or photojournalist. Or just take photos, period. When I get enough money I want to be an entrepreneur, own a fashion line, Starbucks, or a cute little cupcake shop. But only time will tell!

Bright; Maybe it means I'm always smiling. Or because of all the academic distinctions. I honestly don't like to brag, but I'm trying to be as humble as I can about this. So here's my proof;
>I had one academic distinction in grade one
>one in grade three
>literacy award in grade four
>and one academic distinction in grade seven last year
(This is just pure evidence.)

Famous; This was the one that really surprised me. Like I said, I am striving to be an actress, and really get out there, so hopefully one day I will become famous.
And if I do, MAJOR shoutout to Ms.Pollock, our homeroom and drama teacher! Ha.

***

Some other interesting things I found out is apparently my name Clarissa is used in the languages English, Italian, and Portuguese. Portuguese!
The latinate word for Clarissa is Clarice, which originated from Clara.
My middle name Joy is English, from the word joy.
In Norman French it's pronounced joie, and in Latin it's gaudia. Which is wired because it sounds like Guatemala!
And sadly, I couldn't find anything for my last name, Garcia. Boo-hoo.

I think my name suits me well because I just like my name. (Better than Charity!)
I like the fact that when I write my full name 'Clarissa Garcia,' it rhymes because of the a's!

If I could give myself a new name, it would be Mia. I really like that name, because I just finished reading this really good book called If I Stay, by Gayle Foreman, and the main character was named Mia. There's something about that name that I absolutely love.
Maybe I'll name my child that... even if it was a boy. Ha, jokes!


***

A few weeks ago, Mrs.Pollock was telling me she used to watch a show called
'Clarissa Explains It All,' when she was younger.
I was really curious about it, so I searched it on youtube, and turns out the actress who plays 'Clarissa,' is the same girl who plays Sabrina, in 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch.'
(Melissa Joan Hart).



So here's a clip of the old show; Clarissa Explains it All.
Sorry I couldnt embed it on my blog, youtube wouldn't let me!
Anyway, I think the name Clarissa really suits the character because she's so quirky, and bright.
And I think it just suits the character! She's so funny, and outgoing.

This is one of the hardest blog post Mrs.Pollock ever had us assigned. But it was alot of fun getting to know more about MY name.

Hope you had fun reading this, as I did typing this.
Until next blog post,
-Claire

1 comment: